Saturday, January 18, 2014

What's Your Goal?

I hope you had time to think about what you want to choose as your goal since my last post.  If you need more time to think, no problem.  Once you have decided you can visit past blogs to help you start and form a plan.

Now, if you are like me, I want to change everything at once.  I have a hard time with patience and look for instant gratification.  We are going to change this thinking.  Start with something manageable.  As a teacher who has worked on writing many goals over the last 13 years, I have learned you only only pick 1 or 2 items to focus on.  Once you have that goal covered you can move onto another.

Here are the important first steps.
1. Ponder, pray, talk with your spouse, friends, parents, anyone in your support system.  Ask them what they think about the goal you have chosen.  Do they think you have a goal that is manageable?  Are they willing to support you when you lose focus?  My mom and husband are huge support systems for me.  They know my personality and what is happening in my life.  If I told them I was going to train for a triathlon they would firmly, but politely say, "Wendy, not going to happen.  Pick something more manageable like just starting to exercise 2-3 times a week and then you could go from there."  And they would be right.
2. Actually pick your goal or goals.  Remember, only pick 1 or 2.  Fun fact-in order for something to become a habit you have to do it everyday for 21 days.
3. Set a plan. As this point, depending on your goal, you will have to work on the plan yourself.  You can comment or email me and I can help you with your plan. Obviously, each plan depends on the goal.
4. Start working your plan.

Here's my example…
Goal #1 - Exercise 30 minutes 3 times a week

  • Exercise Saturday & Sunday(have more time) & Monday(have the most energy) or Wednesday(no kid at home)
  • Use walking/exercise programs from Comcast On Demand(free & in my home)
  • Walk Away the Pounds exercise CD
  • Walk dogs(will only happen when it's warm)
  • Walk around the school building before I go home
  • Just Dance on the Wii with Victoria(kills 2 birds with 1 stone)
So, here's the start for my goal.  Good luck with yours!

Happy planning~
Wendy




No comments:

Post a Comment